Monday, September 17, 2012

How a kid's show made a fangirl out of this feminist:



After my last post, where I raved against the franchise I hate the most, I wanted to follow up by praising a franchise I love. Many of you may not have heard of the show Avatar: The Last Airbender (or you might think it has something to do with blue people on the planet Pandora), but let me tell you, it's a must see. Some people look at me funny when I say that, "Isn't that a kid's show?" they ask. Yes, it's a children's show that premiered on Nickelodeon in 2005. I put off watching the show for years for that very reason. But one friend persisted and got me to sit down and watch. At first my reaction was positive but unenthusiastic, "It's good... for a kid's show." But by the middle of season two I was literally yelling at my television, rooting for "Team Avatar" and now I often site it as my favorite television show (high praise- believe me). 

Now that I have watched the show several times in it's entirety, I've concluded that it's being meant for children is part of what makes it so great. In addition to being an enjoyable show it's jam-packed with great messages for kids. 


The show is set in a mythical world where there are four nations: Water, Earth, Fire and Air. In each nation there are benders; people who are able to control an element and they use this power as a martial art. There is one person in the world who is able to control all four elements, called the Avatar, who acts as a spiritual mediator between the four nations. The story takes place in the midst of a war between the Fire Nation and the other nations. The Avatar has been absent for one hundred years and is found frozen in an iceberg by a brother and sister from the Southern Water Tribe (Sokka and Katara). Aang (the Avatar) is a young boy who was born an airbender and has yet to master the other three elements. The story follows the three children as they travel the world, gaining the skills necessary for them to defeat the Fire Lord and end the war. 


It's a very well-crafted hero quest that is compelling to watch the whole way through. There are a million reasons why I love the show: the artistry involved in creating the mythological world, the excitement and careful thought put into every action sequence, the humor that perfectly caters to both children and adults, and the believable and loveable characters. 


But enough about why I think the show is good, why I am writing about it on this blog? This is a feminist show if ever I saw one and the best part is -- this show is targeted at boys!


The more I examine film and television for gender biases, the more I notice shows directed towards women and girls are headed in a good direction. More and more shows targeted at women feature strong women with dynamic personalities and goals beyond landing a boyfriend. But shows that are targeted to men and boys... not so much. Women in these shows are rarely portrayed as anything other than plot devices at the best of times. So when I saw a show for boys that not only features strong females as more than the object of a male's desire, but addresses sexism head on, you can bet I was over the freaking moon!


In the very first episode the subject of sexism is addressed almost as soon as we meet Sokka and Katara. The pair are out on a fishing trip and Sokka makes a comment, "I knew I should have left you at home. Leave it to a girl to screw things up." A lot of shows would let a comment like this slide but Katara wastes no time in calling him out, "You are the most sexist, immature, nut-brained -- ugh! I'm embarrassed to be related to you!" It's a brief moment that takes a comment children might hear on a playground and lets them know, those comments are not cool.


One of my favorite episodes is The Warriors of Kyoshi, which takes place early in the first season. In this episode, Sokka does some serious development with regards to his treatment of women. A character named Suki is introduced; she is the leader of the Kyoshi Warriors, a group of female fighters. It opens with Katara, Sokka and Aang getting captured by the Kyoshi Warriors, but once the people of Kyoshi Island find out that Aang is the Avatar they release them and treat them as honored guests. However, Sokka has a hard time gracefully accepting the fact that a group of girls were able to, in Katara's words, "kick [his] butt". He tries puff himself up by belittling the warriors: calling their combat class a "dance class" and saying, "... normally I'd hold a grudge, but seeing as you guys are a bunch of girls, I'll make an exception." This leads to a sparring match between him and Suki, which she easily dominates. Then Sokka has an amazing breakthrough; he goes to the warriors, asks for forgiveness and begs them to teach him how to fight. Suki then agrees to teach him under the condition that he follow all their traditions, including wearing their uniform, which happens to be a dress and makeup. Once Sokka is dressed in drag there are moments of comedy, when the kids watching are allowed to laugh at Sokka wearing a dress, but the overall message is clear: There is nothing shameful or weak in acting like a girl.  





Throughout the entire series gender equality remains a constant theme, and by creating a exciting and fun story to package these messages, the show succeeded in appealing to both boys and girls (and, as it happens, some adults). I am so thankful that there is a show out there featuring boys who have relationships with girls that extend beyond the superficial attraction we usually see. Avatar portrays girls as full characters that are friends, teachers and even, on occasion, competition. I know that this one show cannot combat all the other sources of gender stereotyping, but oh wouldn't it be great if it could? This is another instance when I could create an entire blog just to talk about one franchise. So I will just say, if you haven't watched the show, give it a shot. Show your children. 

6 comments:

  1. YES! I also love the variety of personalities of the women in the Avatar universe that defy conventional stereotypes - ultra-"feminine" girls like Ty Lee to the tomboys like Toph, and yet they are all strong, interesting characters. I think this lets kids know that you can be a tomboy but it's OK to dress up (Toph in "Tales of Ba Sing Se" and addressing the issue of conventional beauty) and you can wear pink but still be a strong fighter (Ty Lee).

    Question - is there a character in the Avatar universe (male OR female) that you thought WASN'T fleshed out very well?

    Also, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on Season 1 of the Legend of Korra. There has been a lot of debate about it (particularly in the love interest category) and I wondered what you thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I completely agree with you about Ty Lee and Toph and breaking down gender stereotypes. The list of awesome goes on and on.

      With regards to your question, no example really comes to mind for me. I thought the core group of characters were all surprisingly well-developed and consistent. Is there a character that you thought they should have gone deeper with?

      I am planning on posting about Legend of Korra. :)

      Thanks again for the comment and question!

      Delete
    2. I will admit that when I watched the series the first time, I didn't really like Yue that much, but I think that was mainly because she wasn't combat-inclined like the rest of the characters (and, in retrospect, I don't think she got enough development to be as likeable as some of the other characters). But considering she chose duty over her own personal feelings in a very significant way (keepin' it spoiler-free for those who haven't seen it yet), I think that made her strong in a different sort of way, and I definitely grew to respect her.

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, Yue. I didn't like her at first either. She seemed like a pretty obvious plot device but I agree that I grew more respect for her. She's probably one of my least favorite characters (probably because of her voice actress) but I ended up liking her story. Plus,(SPOILER ALERT) it led to the "My first girlfriend turned into the moon," joke. Which was classic.

      Delete
  2. Love it! Also one of my favorite shows, and I never stopped to think it might be targeted at boys (ok, duh, main character, martial arts, etc). It's obviously highly accessible, to a kind of impressive degree. :) Seriously so many reasons to love this show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't occur to me right away either but I've seen in interviews with the creators that the original desire from Nickelodeon was an action show for boys. I think it's so awesome that they made the decision to include such an awesome female presence.

      Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete