Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Showing Some Love For "Sleepwalk With Me"


This past weekend I went to see Sleepwalk With Me in theaters, it's the film debut of comedian Mike Birbiglia who wrote, starred in and directed the movie. It's an adaptation of Birbiglia's one man show of the same name. The basic plot is a struggling comedian, Matt Pandamiglio, is in a long term relationship with a woman named Abby; they have been together for a long time and pressure begins to build for them to get married. Abby is ready and willing to go there, Matt is not. As his career in stand-up comedy begins to take off, the stress he feels from his relationship causes him to start walking in his sleep. The movie follows Matt as he tries to ignore both the problem of his sleep disorder and his disordered relationship.

Let me begin by saying that I loved this movie. I've been a fan of Mike Birbiglia for as long as I can remember; I couldn't wait to see his first adventure in film-making and Sleepwalk did not disappoint. The first time I heard a recording of the show Sleepwalk With Me, I was expecting just more of the jokes I loved, instead it was a collection of true (and sometimes painful) stories from his life but it still had me laughing the whole way through. The movie definitely achieved the same effect, it told the same true story with a few necessary tweaks. It was funny, relatable and moving.


But a few people did not agree with me. I found two articles from women who felt that the movie was offensive to women. Wendy Widom posted "Why Sleepwalk With Me is a Woman's Worst Nightmare" through the Huffington Post and Jenna Sauers posted an article on Jezebel, "Sleepwalk With Me's Marriage Problem". Now, I have a very sensitive feminist alarm, so when someone finds sexism where I don't, I am always fascinated. I don't want to dismiss the concerns brought up by these articles (especially because I love both of these sites) but after spending a lot of time thinking about why I wasn't offended I decided to share my opposing viewpoint and tell you a little more about why I think this movie is worth seeing.


Both Widom and Sauers take issue with the fact that the movie features stereotypical gender roles. Sauers claims that "In Sleepwalk With Me, the notion that women are all the same under the skin - that all women, deep down, see actualization in marriage and babies... is never so clearly expressed." Because this movie was based on Birbiglia's experiences I don't want to fault him for telling his own story. But, more importantly, I think that Abby's character was a believable and fair portrayal of a woman who happens to want to get married and start a family. I would have been upset if the film implied that women were supposed to get married or that they were evil for trying to get an innocent guy to commit, but it just seemed to be what she wanted. SPOILER ALERT: It would have been horrible if the movie had followed traditional romantic comedies and Matt had continued to stifle his reluctance, married her and they'd tried to pass that off as a happy ending. But instead, Matt broke off the wedding and Abby's reaction wasn't to fall apart and cry, "Oh god, my life is over." or yell, "You bastard! How could you do this to me?!" Her reaction was, "You're right. We shouldn't be getting married." Then she goes off and finds someone who could give her what she wanted. I think that's a pretty awesome way for Abby's story to end. END OF SPOILER


In Widom's post she conflates Sleepwalk With Me with the films of Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen. She describes it as "another Awesome Girl Is Desperate To Get Married and Her Pathetic and Unworthy Boyfriend Is On The Proverbial Fence story". Now, I am also deeply bothered by the "slacker-striver" comedies that Widom compares to Sleepwalk, but I think Birbiglia sets himself apart by turning a critical eye on himself. The film is narrated by Matt looking back on his own past. When Past-Matt is messing up, Future-Matt let's us know (in small and funny ways) that he knows he messed up, (usually by looking directly at the audience and saying,"I know!"). In the films that Widom mentions male protagonists are rewarded for making dumb decisions, whereas Matt gets into more trouble. I don't care if a protagonist in a movie makes mistakes (it would be hard to create a believable character without them), so long as they are portrayed as mistakes. And in my opinion Mike Birbiglia tows the line perfectly. 


I don't think that Sleepwalk With Me is a feminist movie by a long shot, but I don't think every movie needs to be. What I do firmly believe that every movie has to be fair women. I agree wholeheartedly that there is a lack of stories about women, made by women and that have messages that empower women (that's why I started this blog). But just because this movie isn't about a woman doesn't mean that it isn't a powerful story that is worth telling. The message I took away from the film, that I think everyone can relate to, was all about denial. Matt is constantly trying to ignore his problems rather than face a conflict, which leads to some catastrophic events in his life. This movie was a charming and original way to show people's tendency to avoid the hard issues in life. I found it touching and thoroughly enjoyable. So go see it and tell me if you think I'm wrong!

And if I can't convince you... 

 

9 comments:

  1. Yes, the dynamics of Matt's relationship is stereotypical (and is one that is often used for rom-com fodder) but as you pointed out, the movie isn't about their relationship so much as it is about denial and the consequences of avoiding difficult situations. It seems to me that perhaps Widom and Saures saw what they perceived to be yet another sexist portrayal of a relationship, and just couldn't get past it long enough to see what the movie was really about.

    "Sleepwalk With Me" portrayed the character of Abby as a PERSON, which is a treatment that women in romantic comedies don't often get. And the movie treats her relationship with Matt as just that; a relationship between two people with a dynamic specific to them. There was no attempt by the film to say that all women want marriage and babies, or that all men have commitment issues. Add the that the fact that the relationship ends in a non-stereotypical way, and the argument that it's just another "slacker-striver" dries up pretty quickly, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! I agree with all of the above. Well put!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for writing this! I saw the movie last week and loved it, and the next day I was reading reviews, wanting to hear reviews from those who loved it as much as I did, and I stumbled upon the Widom and Saures reviews and I was actually shocked. I realized not everyone would like the movie; I mean, people have different taste, but I really wasn't expecting anyone to lump Mike Birbiglia with Apatow/Rogen. I consider myself an intelligent feminist (that's redundant, though, isn't it?), and I didn't see things that way at all. It has actually been bothering me quite a bit. You articulate many of my thoughts very well, so I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi All,

    It's Wendy Widom here! I'm really enjoying all of these thoughtful comments about my review of Sleepwalk With Me. It's nice to see women challenge each other and engage in this type of dialogue.

    I have to admit: I still believe that Birbilgia's movie is a gentler example of the Rogen/Apatow genre, and I still think the movie would have been better with a straight-talking female character in it somewhere. But you’ve given me and I’m sure many other people a lot to think about when it comes to how women are portrayed in film.

    Warmly,
    Wendy W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting! You gave me a lot to think about also and has inspired a lot of wonderful conversation.

      Delete
  4. I was brought to your blog after watching "Sleepwalk With Me" last night with my daughters. (12 & 13) Watching movies and talking about them is one of my favorite parenting tools for creating conversation with my kids. My 12 year old stayed up for the whole thing and my 13 year old fell asleep -- AND she had just watched the new Twilight earlier with some friends at a sleepover. Ugh.

    I had heard an interview with Mike Birbiglia on NPR some time ago and made a mental post-it note to get the movie because he just sounded so interesting and funny. So last night was the night. I logged in this morning to find out more, read reviews, etc. and I found Wendy Widom's review and then saw your comment and here I am.

    First, I am just so excited to be able to show my daughters that an outspoken woman can make statements, invite and receive opposing comments and then have an exchange of mutual respect despite seeing things differently. Seriously, I commend you both. And I'd like to ask a question of both of you.

    My question to you is this (and it's big and general and vague). What's out there? What movies can I watch with my girls that teach what I'm trying to teach -- to be themselves, to be smart, to be thoughtful, mindful of the world around us, to not fall into the roles of pleasers for the sake of pleasing or peacekeeping when it means stamping down thoughts and opinions that have every right to be heard? What books are compelling and interesting to teenagers that don't romanticize the tired old damsel-in-distress bit?

    I gave my thirteen year old a series by Tamora Pierce that she loved. It was rich with feminist ideals. But it was fantasy. Both my girls love fantasy writing and I'm just not into it so it makes it harder for us to share great reads. I want there to be an Anne Lamont or Anna Quindlen for teenagers.

    I know there's more to it than books and movies and I'm trying in a lot of other ways to make sure the right messages are coming from me (in the way that I live and act) and that they're absorbing all the rest of the world and properly discerning the crap from the meaningful.

    Any help or advice you can provide would be so appreciated.

    Very Respectfully,
    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlett,

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Sometimes it can be difficult to find the good stuff among all the sexism in our culture, but there are some wonderful stories out there for young women. Your question is particularly difficult for me because I am a huge sci-fi\fantasy nerd (perhaps because it's easier to find strong female characters there- how telling that we need a fantasy world to do that!)

      My friends and I did come up with a few suggestion...

      Books: "Walk Two Moons" by Sharon Creech, "Catherine Called Birdie" and "Midwife's Apprentice" both by Karen Cushman, "I am Lavina Cumming" by Susan Lowell, "Because of Winn Dixie" and "Tiger Rising" both by Kate DeCamillo, "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin, "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett (movie's good too) and "Heidi" by Johanna Spyri

      Movies: Bend It Like Beckham, Secret Garden, Pride and Prejudice (they are probably too young to appreciate Jane Austen's books but the movies would probably capture their interest) and Little Women

      TV Shows were definitely the most difficult to come up with. I would recommend Gilmore Girls (it's off the air but features smart, funny women making it work in the real world). I also recommend Veronica Mars but advise you to wait a few years because it deals with mature issues.

      If you can't pry your daughters away from the fantasy genre I highly recommend the book "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine (the movie is not as good), the movies "Penelope" and "Brave" and the TV shows "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (a great balance to Twilight).

      Finally, I'd just like to commend you. You are clearly already doing the most important thing, which is teaching your daughters to think critically about the media they are digesting. At the end of the day they are going to fall whatever type of book, movie or show that appeals to them, but the messages you have already instilled in them will continue to grow as they do. You sound so much like my mother who worried constantly about her daughter's love for barbies and Disney movies and look how I turned out! :)

      I hope you find this helpful! Good luck and keep up the good work!

      Thanks again for reading,
      Ms. Pontification

      Delete