Monday, July 29, 2013

Where The Ladies At? - The Lack of Women in Geek Media


"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

I am a geek. There is very little that makes me light up more than discussing The Hobbit, the latest episode of Doctor Who or Marvel's plans for any of the upcoming superhero movies with a fellow fan. Joining the geek community felt completely natural, I have met so many friends and have had so much fun at geek events. I truly can't overstate the importance of being a geek in my life, it has provided joy and comfort by helping me find a social network and by giving me stories to explore on my own.

But right now I'm going to do something that is extremely difficult for me: I am going to criticize the franchises I love. Because, as Anita Sarkeesian puts it so well in her video series Tropes vs. Women in Video Games (which everyone should watch), "It is both possible (and even necessary) to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of it's more problematic or pernicious aspects." The pictures at the beginning of this post are promotions for some of the most popular franchises in current geekdom: The Avengers, The Hobbit, Sherlock, Doctor Who and Star Trek: Into Darkness. What I find problematic about these movies and TV Shows is the lack of women in leading roles. According to the NPR Blog: Monkey See, last month 90% of the leading characters in movie theaters were men, and a fair chunk of that came from what are, unquestionably, geek movies (Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, etc.)

This is not to say that these franchises are devoid of strong women. In fact, I think one of the many things that draws me to Sci-Fi and Fantasy stories is that I find more strong female characters there than in other genres. Some folks might be upset at my mention of Doctor Who considering that the Doctor almost always travels with a woman, who is usually a strong and well written character. It's true that the Doctor's female companions are some of my favorite characters, they participate in the action, often committing heroic acts that are all their own, and occasionally they even get to save the Doctor. But it must be acknowledged that the Doctor is consistently the one running the show, and his companions are along for the ride. Readers may also take issue with the inclusion of The Avengers, which was written and directed by Joss Whedon, who is often praised (often by me) as the forerunner in feminist television and film. There was a lot to love about Black Widow in The Avengers (I actually wrote about it in some detail), she was a great improvement to Iron Man 2 and to past attempts at female superheroes (I'm looking at you Elektra). However the obvious must be stated, that she was the only female on the team and unlike her friends -- Thor, Captain America, the Hulk and Iron Man, she has yet to be given her own movie.


It is undeniable that despite the presence of strong females in some popular franchises, the vast majority of leading roles are filled by men. Some might wonder, "What's so wrong with that? So long as there are strong female characters somewhere? Does it really matter?" My simple answer is- yes. Yes, it is a problem. This year I attended my first Sci-Fi convention and I loved it, but it forced me to examine that lack of females represented in geek media and the sometimes hostile attitude toward females in the community. If you are a cosplayer, the options for female superheroes are startlingly low, even lower if you are uncomfortable in revealing or heavily sexualized clothing, and lower yet if you are a woman of color. I have found several blog posts highlighting the instances of harassment and body shaming that occurs at conventions and I don't think it's a stretch to think the lack of female driven narratives has something to do with this. Having so few females in film and television creates an illusion that geek culture is male space, and often makes women feel unwelcome. Yet there are still plenty of women and girls who identify as geeks, and I believe this is because the stories I've mentioned are good stories. You don't have to be a man to relate to the struggles and triumphs of The Doctor or Bilbo. I see reflections of myself and people I love in many of the male characters I've mentioned. But it begs the question: Shouldn't men be expected to do the same for women?

So what can be done to change this? I believe there is some progress being made, however slowly. There are steps being taken already, but I'm not sure how successful they have been...

It is becoming less common for a television show or movie to be released without at least one female character; but what we end up getting is a lot of franchises with exactly one woman meant to balance out several men. Soon, we will have the second installment of The Hobbit joining these ranks. Peter Jackson has inserted a female elf, Tauriel, into an all male story. Since I'm a huge fan of the books, I'm not sure how I will feel about Tauriel. On the one hand, I appreciate that there was some awareness that there were NO women in the original story and they felt at least one strong woman was necessary. They succeeded in inserting some girl power into The Fellowship of the Ring by expanding Arwen's role, and I enjoyed that change from the books. However, I had mixed feeling about the deviations from the book in An Unexpected Journey, I thought some slowed down the plot and weren't very well written. I fear that Tauriel is merely a bone being thrown at feminists; she'll fire a couple arrows and won't contribute to the story in an interesting or meaningful way. A major problem with there being so little female representation, is it puts a great deal of weight on the women we do see. If the lone woman is poorly written, it hits female viewers hard and often makes it more difficult to convince Hollywood to invest in strong female characters in the future. Clearly, we need more than one woman inserted into the stories dominated by men. 

There are also the attempts to gender-swap characters that are already beloved by fans. For example, there was Elementary, America's answer to BBC's Sherlock. But CBS decided to do something a little different - they turned John Watson into Joan Watson and cast Lucy Lui in the role. It was a courageous move to give such an iconic role to a woman (and a woman of color) but, if my anecdotal evidence has any truth, fans of the BBC's series and fans of original books had a hard time adjusting to the change. Although, I sorely desire more successful female characters, I don't think a smart solution is replacing the male characters who are already popular. I have similar concerns with the growing demands for a woman to play the Doctor on Doctor Who. For those of you who don't watch the show, The Doctor is an alien who doesn't die but regenerates, thus allowing for eleven (soon to be twelve) different actors to play the same character over the past fifty years. Peter Capaldi was just announced as the 12th Doctor and some have expressed anger that yet another white male was chosen. I certainly understand the disappointment and feel some of it myself. However, I don't think the show is ready for a female Doctor, because I don't trust the all male writing staff to be able to do it right. Since the show got its reboot in 2005 there have only been two serials written by a woman, none since Steven Moffat took charge. I believe part of why franchises with female leads are unsuccessful is that most are written by men, and most men aren't that great at writing women. If they were to cast a female as The Doctor, the unfortunate reality is that she would have to be better than the past Doctors (again, the lack of female characters puts them under a higher degree of scrutiny, by both feminists and misogynists.) And until we have more women behind the scenes, I think it will be hard to have exceptional characters on-screen.

I propose that changing popular male characters into women sets those female characters up for failure and when the people behind the scenes are not excited about a female lead it ends up showing in the final product. Including a woman or two in compelling supporting roles is a good start, but falls short of what we want and need. Often the female characters feel pandering, a small gesture to placate the people who desire more diversity. We need NEW STORIES, new characters, written by women and about women. There are stories out there, there are female superheroes that haven't had a movie made about them, there are new books and comics being written everyday and it's about damn time we start seeing them on the screen.

To end on a somewhat positive note, here are a couple geek projects on the horizon that I am looking forward to: 


Joss Whedon is producing a television show spinoff of The Avengers, called Agents of Shield. From the promotions, it appears that half of the main characters are women. Whedon is one of those rare men that can write women well, and there is at least one woman on the writing team, Maurissa Tancharoen, who has worked with Whedon in the past. It has also been confirmed that Maria Hill (a character who we met in Avengers, but didn't have nearly enough screen time) will appear in the pilot. If the popularity of the Avengers can introduce the geek world to some new and exciting female characters, I will be very pleased.

Not long ago, Rob Thomas and crew made Kickstarter history by asking fans of the TV Show Veronica Mars to fund a movie. This is one of several examples of a female centric show that was ended before it's time. For those of you who haven't watched the show, the title character is a PI who also happens to be a teenage girl struggling through high school. Veronica used her brains and determination to outsmart others, the show dealt with many important issues (most notably, she solves the mystery of her own sexual assault). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of a female presence in terms of writing and directing, but it's incredibly exciting that the character of Veronica Mars is returning. For years the cast, crew and fans have been trying to find a studio to produce this movie, but no studio was willing to bet on a female hero from a cancelled TV Show. I hope the success of the Kickstarter Project (raising over $5 million with over 90,000 backers), will demonstrate to Hollywood that these types of projects have an audience and will make money.

There is a market for female heroines. If a TV Show or movie is well-made and the character is compelling, the geeks will show their support. It is important that females are represented not just so girls and women have someone to look up to, but so that men and boys are taught the strength and humanity of women. We geeks need to be more vocal about what we want in future franchises, as Hollywood starts to plan more superhero movies and tries to start new geek fandoms. There is nothing new about female geeks, we've been around since the beginning of geek culture. It is only the misogyny of some within the community and misrepresentations in the media that have given rise to the myth that all geeks are men. We must continue to be involved and vocal about what we want and support projects that provide it for us. I have no doubt that the culture will continue to change and improve because geek women are creative, articulate and vigilant. Basically, we're awesome.

3 comments:

  1. I apologize in advance if it appears that my comment is a bunch of somewhat unrelated comments strung together.

    The argument that I often here is "this is fiction/fantasy/sci-fi, it's not meant to be reality" as if fictional narratives are somehow devoid of reality. This argument upsets me to no end. Ironically, this is a similar argument one hears in biblical scholarship, "if you contextualize this historically, you're going to ruin the beauty of the text itself."

    Some argued the same thing about the new Doctor being played by a white (cis-)male. Essentially, if you don't like that the Doctor is a white male, stop watching Doctor Who. Or rather that we're ruining people from enjoying Doctor Who by making feminist, queer, or critical race perspectives on science fiction. Even Moffatt himself said something to the effect, "well I wouldn't have a man play the queen," which I perceived not only as sexist because the Doctor isn't a queen but an individual but also implicitly racist. The argument from Moffatt implies that the Doctor has always been a white man and thus he should continue to be played by a white man.

    Arguments on the basis of tradition (either related to fiction or to reality) are attempts to obscure the fact that ideologies such as sexism and racism are long-held traditions or perhaps rather are more likely to function as extensions of long-held traditions. Moreover, our critiques are perceived as a dismissal of nerd/geek culture tout court. Obviously, it is not the case. Furthermore, just because we offer critiques does not mean that we do not enjoy science fiction/fantasy/etc.

    But it comes from the understanding that fictional universes are not vacuums. Reality affects the narratives created by science fiction. Sometimes sci-fi is cutting edge (for instance, the interracial kiss shared by Cpt. Kirk and Lt. Uhura in "Plato's Stepchildren"), and uses its status as "fiction" to address problems within contemporary culture. More often than not, fiction is not used to address such problems and really just mirrors reality.

    I would also like to proposition that some of this ambivalence might come from the narrative of marginalization of nerds and geeks in our society. I do not want to deny the reality of this narrative but I grew up as a queer and working-class nerd, so perhaps other realities I faced meant that the stereotypical narrative about marginalized nerds was less prominent growing up. That is, I do not remember being marginalized for being a geek or nerd growing up.

    But I think that narrative is powerful even if it is a fictional narrative. Sci-fi is assumed to be an escape but obviously, they forget that utopian or dystopian literature is not meant to literally produce the best or worst world possible (as if it is meant to either be Gehenna or Paradise) but rather that these literatures have always functioned as social commentary. I guess I read sci-fi as a continuation of such literatures. That is, we should have white women, queer people, POCs (obviously including women of color and queer POCs), etc.

    Again, it's hard for me to understand whether or not many nerds or geeks feel marginalization growing up or whether it is a hollywood narrative. Obviously, hollywood narratives have a lot of power, even if they're fictive. But it seems to me by ruining the escapism of fiction, we're ruining the place that they're perceived to have control. I could be incorrect about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment. You bring up a lot of great points. As to the whether geeks are a marginalized community, is an interesting discussion. When I was very young I did feel out of place and was picked on, therefore I found great comfort in narratives that I would later in life learn were a part of the geek community. Many stories that are considered geek and nerd territory are stories of underdogs, people who are picked on, or are different in some way. So I do think that geek community draws people who feel alienated or oppressed. But that being said, the geek community is huge and once I got into High School it was easy to find a community where I belonged. My childish emoting about franchises that I loved used to get me strange looks and often teased, suddenly were celebrated and came to be the norm. So although I can see it being an uncomfortable social barrier in some contexts, I don't think we're a marginalized community (especially given how popular and HUGE geekdom has become). I think it's possible that the geek community experience bullying and alienation while growing up (or in certain social circles throughout their lives) simply for being geek, and I agree with you that this has, perhaps, led to the hostility that has been shown when women, people of color and the queer community have voiced their criticisms of the culture. But the arguments of those who oppose diversifying the characters and narratives often have the tone of someone who doesn't understand the difference between personal hardships and societal oppression.

      Again, I think it's going to take fresh and exciting stories to show that adding characters who aren't the standard straight white male won't take anything away from the geek community, but simply make more people feel welcome in it. Because these narratives do have power to challenge and change ourselves, and my hope is that more of these stories will surface.

      Delete
  2. Everyone should check out this great video:

    http://mspontification.tumblr.com/post/60277003560/thisfeliciaday-on-the-geek-sundry

    It has a ton of suggestions for comics that feature awesome female characters. A little boost for the geek ladies.

    PS - Please follow me on Tumblr.

    ReplyDelete